Sunday, April 29, 2012

Re-Invented Antique Cabinet

I have had this Antique Cabinet for a few years, but I had it on top of a counter top that was in my Laundry Room until I redecorated it.  You can see that makeover here.  I was wanted to hang it on the wall in the Laundry Room, but it was too wide for the space, and was not going to fit.  The backing of it was probably not going to be strong enough to use it to support the cabinet on the wall  anyway, so I decided that I would try to find something to sit it on.  I went to may favorite junk shop, and found this old piano bench. It was the right width and length, so I thought this just might work! It was not in the greatest shape, so I had to tweak it  a bit.

 

I decided to remove the top of the bench, because it was warped a bit and the veneer was chipping up.  Luckily I had a piece of MDF that was just the right width, but was a little too long.   My "Biggest Fan" wanted to help, so he cut it off with power tools (I don't think he trusts me with the circular saw yet).  I had to "sturdy up" the bench a bit so I added some bracing on the inside of the bench. The bottom was in pretty bad shape too, so I just took it out.

I cut those pieces of 2x4 all by my self on my compound miter saw, and then screwed them onto the the two pieces of wood that was supporting the bottom of the bench.

The Cabinet was already painted white, but I painted it so long ago I wasn't sure if I still had that can of paint any more, let alone, remember which one it was.  I wanted the top and the bottom to match so I repainted the cabinet.  Here is the before.  I almost forgot to take a picture, and I already had the doors off and the glass taped up.


The piece of MDF board that I cut for the top of the bench seemed kinda raw on the edge so I found some 1/4 round and attached it to the edge of the MDF board with my "new best friend" the Pneumatic brad shooter thingy.  That was so simple, I mitered the edges too.  I was so proud of myself! I decided to paint the top in a bronze/brown color.  I mixed my own paint for this, a little brown a little powder metallic mica, and some glaze.  I painted the piano bench legs and sides in a white, same as the top, did a little distressing, glazed it with my favorite dark Jojoba stain then waxed it.  My "Biggest Fan"  helped me carry it into the house, we attached the pieces and WALLAH!!  What do you think?? Here is the finished cabinet!






I love this key hole - no key though


Don't you love this detailed opening?






I love this cabinet it has such pretty lines and details!  How about you??

Partying This week at: 

Furniture Feature Fridays






Sumo's Sweet Stuff

3 comments:

  1. That cabinet turned out great! I love redoing old furniture, too. I furnished my whole house on side of the road junk. Take care, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Linda and Janet, I really enjoyed doing and I am very pleased how it turned out!

    ReplyDelete